Planning a job in private equity firm? Here are some prerequisites that would make your search easier. But before that let’s understand what exactly does a private equity firm do?
As you are aware that private equity firms are essentially the controlling entities which gather all the capital, which is then invested either in a specific interest or opportunity. Basically with an aim to enhance or capitalize on that particular investment, before it is re-sold for a profit.
Quite often top private equity firms would use strategies like venture capital and buy a company or business. Resulting in a lucrative career in private equity firms. But while all this sounds quite good and pleasant, the reality remains that both getting and securing a job at private equity firm is tad difficult. Not because there are not enough jobs, but because there is a strict competition and you would need to have all these – knowledge, experience, and perseverance in abundance.
So how do you ensure that you have all the essential prerequisites for a job in a private equity industry? Here’s how –
Some of these prerequisites are quite essential for you to secure a job in private equity industry and if you failed to meet any one of these prerequisites you won’t be hired despite your good academic results and certifications even. These are the first steps for securing a job in private equity firms.
1. Passing the background check:
2. Meeting the higher education completion check
3. Meeting the relevant experience check
Once you have successfully completed and passed in the above-mentioned prerequisites you are taken to the step two, which would involve the following steps
1. Finding a firm that is right for you
2. Studying the different private equity firms for their specialties
3. Networking always help, especially with those who are already working in private equity industry
4. You would also need to get in touch with either with a head hunter or even execute search firms as they are usually in the know-how if any company is looking for a private equity professional.
Post these steps have been addressed successfully and you feel that you are ready to go for a job in private equity industry then you would need to do the following steps as well
1. Creating a resume with a sole focus on Private Equity Firms
2. You would need to either craft an inquiry letter in case you are not sure whether there is an opening or a requirement in a private equity firm, or a cover letter, in case you are applying for the position
3. Now comes submitting your application material, which would include – your resume, cover or inquiry letter, and other forms and certifications for the firms you are applying to.
4. Preparing for an interview process – that would include being familiar with the questions being asked in an interview – for this you can either check with your friends who are working in private equity, or on the internet. You need to be prepared with your questions as well by studying about the firm – its functions, specialization and position in the market.
Once all this is done, you are ready to secure a job in private equity industry.