Land is a unique asset and we don’t want to make any mistake while buying it. Carefully checking the land records before purchasing a property is the only way to prevent frauds and misfortune. This article highlights ways to check land and property records online for maximum transparency and benefits.
Real estate is a complex business, with lots of forgery and black money involved. It is one place where maximum frauds happen. While there are a lot of rules and regulations set in place by the Government of India to protect real estate buyers from frauds, it is your duty too to carefully check all land and property records before buying property in India.
Earlier there was only one way of checking land and property records in India – to visit the government office and check for owner’s details. However, to simplify and transform the existing land record checking process in India, the Central and various state governments have been trying to bring land records online. This has galvanized the entire land record system in India and helps in:
- Providing electronic record of rights (ROR) to buyers at nominal rates
- Establishing efficient and accurate delivery mechanism between the owner and the buyer
- Empowering land owners with accurate right to information
- Low cost reliable and durable preservation of data
- Modernization of land administration
Various states in India have already established e-portals for online checking of land record systems. These include:
- Himachal Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- West Bengal
Ways to check Land and Property Records Online
- Checking land records online
Here’s a simple method for checking land records online.
- Visit your state’s official website for checking land records (For example, the official site for checking land records in Gujarat is (https://anyror.gujarat.gov.in/).
- Click on view Land Records.
- You will be redirected to a new page, for knowing 7/12 (Satbara) records.
- Here, you need to select your district. This will take you to a new page where you will have to select your taluka and village from the drop down menu.
- Enter the survey number to search the land records.
- Enter the verification code (captcha) and then click on ‘Get Detail’ button.
- 7/12 records of land will be displayed.
- You can take a printout of this record for information purpose.
- Checking Property Records Online
- Visit the official website site for checking Property Records for your state.
- Register and log in to the site.
- Click on View Land Record (Urban).
- Now, you will be redirected to a new page. Select the year, district, and name of the village.
- Next, enter the city survey number and the captcha code.
- Click on ‘Get Detail’ button to search property records online.
- Your property record will be displayed in PDF format. You can take the printout of the page for future reference.
The process of checking land and property records remain same for other states as well. Since a single database for property and land records doesn’t exist, you need to visit specific state site to check your records.
Details Mentioned in Online Records
Online property and land records provide various details about land, including:
- Name of the current owner
- Land use pattern – whether the land has been used for agricultural, residential, village, or commercial use
- The registered address of the current owner
- Area, measurement of the land
- If any land-use conversion has taken place
- Mortgage or loan if applied against the land or property
- Transfers or transactions pertaining to the land
- Government orders if issued in respect to the land
- Property tax records till date
Before buying property in India always check for land records. Follow our aforementioned tips to make a clear and transparent sales deed. Visit “ADDRESS OF CHOICE” to find to find exclusive real estate properties in the city of your choice.