Jog Falls is a spectacular waterfall in the Shivamogga district of Karnataka and is located approx 72 kms from Honnavar. Touted as the second highest waterfall in India and 13th in the world by the waterfall database, the Jog Falls is a sight to behold! This waterfall is formed when the Sharavathi River descends down around 250 mts along four cascades known as Raja, Roarer, Rocket & Rani.
1400 Steps from the viewpoint to the bottom of the hill where tourists can view the waterfall at the opposite side give it a special charm.
HOW TO GET THERE
From Panjim: Kms: 265 via road (NH-66)
* Approx Duration: 6 hrs 13 mins* approx.
From Madgaon: Kms: 233 via road (NH-66)
* Approx. Duration: 5 hrs 20 mins
BEST TIME TO VISIT
June to September witness heavy rainfall in the region. The monsoon season is the best season to visit Jog falls as the beauty of the place is enhanced during this season.
November to February witness winter season in Jog Falls. This is the best time to visit Jog Falls for picnics, outings & sightseeing activities.
Avoid visiting Jog Falls during the summer season as temperatures soars.
WHAT TO SEE
Place to visit near Jog Falls:
- Linganamakki Dam – A dam situated in Kargal village of Sagara taluk and was constructed by the Karnataka State Government in 1964. This dam is located approx 6 kms from Jog Falls and is one of the major dams of Karnataka.
WHAT TO EAT
There are a few restaurants near Jog Falls. Veg & Non-Veg food are available at almost every restaurant.
Restaurant near Jog Falls:
- Hotel Mayura Gerusoppa Restaurant
Hotel in Jog Falls:
- Hotel Mayura Gerusoppa Jogfalls
*Bookings will be done on request
- Being near a waterfall, you need to be extra cautious when you are there.
- Carry enough water & snacks & also, wear shoes to prevent leeches from seeping in.
- Carry a camera as the trail to the falls is magnificent.