Filing for your income tax returns online is very easy if you follow a few simple steps with full concentration and fill in the correct details without any mistakes. File ITR on time!
You have to go through 2 processes to file ITR
There are 2 processes that should be completed for a successful income tax return filing online.
They are as follows:
- Uploading of the Income Tax Returns online
- Preparing and submitting Income Tax Returns online
Uploading of the Income Tax Returns online
- The first thing that you have to do to file ITR online is to download the Income Tax Return preparation software for the particular financial year onto your personal computer.
- After you download it, the next step to follow is to prepare the income tax return by using the downloaded software.
- After doing that, you need to log into your account with the e – filing website with details like your birth date, password, user identification number or name and the date of incorporation.
- Now, make sure you enter the captcha code. The website will ask you for it so that it can check that you are not a computer virus or a robot. Enter the captcha code correctly to have a successful log in into the e – filing website.
- Go to the e file after you successfully log into your account.
- Click on the button that says “upload return” after entering the account.
- After doing that, you need to select the appropriate and correct Income Tax Return, XML file and assessment year so that the process can begin.
- After doing that, you need to upload the DSC – digital signature certificate. This is to be done only if it is applicable in your case.
- Now, click on the button that instructs you to “submit”.
- After the successful submission of the details, an Income Tax Return – Verification (ITR – V) will be displayed on your computer screen (in case the DSC is not used).
- After that, click on the link provided and then download the Income Tax Return – Verification.
- The ITR – V will also be sent to your e mail identification which you have registered with. It is advisable that you check it there as well.
- Now, in case you had used the digital signature certificate, then your income tax return filing process would be complete.
- In the case of the non – usage of the digital signature certificate, then the ITR – V form is to be printed, signed correctly and submitted to the central processing center within 120 days from the day that the e – filing was done. The income tax return process will only be successful and completed after processing only upon the receipt of signed ITR – V. If you do not get any receipts, be sure to check your e mail for any information about the receipts or the submission of the returns. This has to be done to file ITR successfully.
Preparing and submitting Income Tax Returns online
Now that we have completed the process of uploading the income tax returns on to the system, the next step we need to take is to prepare and submit the income tax returns for which you need to follow the instructions given below so that your process can be successful and completed smoothly. To file ITR follow the steps below:
- The very first step after the uploading process for the online income tax return filing to prepare and submit your income tax returns is to log in to the e – filing website with your birth date, password, user identification number or name and the date of incorporation correctly.
- Now, the e – filing website will ask you for a captcha code so that the site can be protected against any robots or computer viruses; you will be logged in if you are neither. Enter the captcha code correctly to have a successful log in into the e – filing website.
- Then, go to the option which says “e – file” and click on the button that reads “prepare and file ITR online”.
- After that, you need to select the income tax return forms ITR 4 S and ITR 1. Also, select the assessment year.
- Fill up all the compulsory details asked correctly to file ITR successfully.
- Then, you have to upload your digital signature certificate (DSC), if applicable.
- Submit the form by clicking on “submit”.
- Once the submission is successful, then the ITR – V would be displayed (if digital signature certificate is not used).
- Now, click on the link and then download the Income Tax Return – Verification. The ITR – V will also be sent to your registered e mail address, check there for clear details.
- If the digital signature certificate is uploaded in the Income Tax Return, then the Income tax return filing process is a success and is completed for good.
- Now, if the digital signature certificate is not uploaded in the return, what you need to do is, you need to get the ITR – V form printed, duly signed and then submitted to the CPC – central processing center within 120 days from the date when the e – filing was done.
- The income tax return will only be processed when the receipt of the signed ITR – V is received. If there is a non – receipt, then there will be a notification sent to you on your e mail or your SMS, so make sure you keep checking the ones that were registered.
Follow all the above steps to file ITR online. File ITR and get your tax returns properly on time.